Looking for a new soup to warm you up on a cool evening? This sweet and savory peanut soup may become your new favorite!
About this Recipe
I love a good soup…but sometimes I get tired of the same-old, same-old. And as a peanut lover, I also adore finding new ways to use these favorite ingredients, like by using them in savory dishes instead of sweet.
This peanut soup is rich and creamy, delivering some familiar notes of chicken broth and celery, but then with that unexpected but delightful peanut flavor too.
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken stock (reduced sodium)
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 ¾ cups light cream or half-and-half
- finely chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until softened, stirring often, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat back to medium and cook, stirring often, about 15 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Pour through a strainer into another large bowl or pot, pushing on the vegetables to get as much flavor from them as possible. (As an alternative, you could put the soup into a blender to get rid of any chunks.) Discard any remaining chunks. Return soup to pot.
- Whisk peanut butter and cream into soup. Warm over low heat for about 5 minutes, but do not boil. Serve warm, garnish with peanuts.
From the Books
Peanut Soup was featured in Greater Than Gold, book 4 in the Secrets of Wayfarers Inn series. The ladies always had soups for lunch at the inn, and sometimes they liked to try something different too!
A Louisiana favorite shines with fresh duck, making this a perfect recipe for hunters; you can tailor the spices to your tastes!
A fresh salad of parsley, mint, and green onions, with roma tomatoes and bulgur wheat marinated in a tangy dressing.
Belgian Hot Chocolate
If you love hot chocolate, you’ll fall in love with this rich, decadent drink of melted chocolate and creamy milk.