Unleavened Bread with Honey
This slightly sweet unleavened bread is a quick and simple recipe…and a crowd-pleaser! Perfect for a Passover meal or communion.
About this Recipe
When I was a kid, the church I attended frequently had a meal together on Holy Thursday, and unleavened bread was served…but not just any unleavened bread. It was sweet. It was delicious. It was a recipe I had to recreate for myself when I was an adult!
The nature of unleavened bread demands that it be quick, and this recipe is no exception. It’s a simple matter of warming and mixing the ingredients, rolling it out, cutting it, and baking…but oh, the results! A slightly sweet bread, dense and chewy, perfect for pairing with a Passover charoset (apply clay), cheese, honey, butter, or even peanut butter, this one will soon be a favorite of everyone in the family!
- ¾ cup scalded milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup (half stick) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat the milk until it’s warm but not boiling, about 1 minute in the microwave.
- Whisk the egg and honey and salt into the warmed milk.
- Melt the butter and then add to the milk mixture.
- Slowly add the flour, stirring to incorporate, until it forms a dough that isn’t too sticky to roll out.
- Roll to ¼” thickness on a floured surface. Cut into whatever size and shape you prefer. Prick with the tines of a fork.
- Move bread to prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until it’s golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool.
From the Books
Unleavened bread would have been served with every Passover in my Biblical stories and is particularly mentioned in A Stray Drop of Blood and At His Feet.
Chewy Easter M&M Cookies
These cookies can work for ANY season, but the spring colors make them perfect for your Easter table!
Soaked or slow-cooked oat groats create a classic porridge with a satisfying bite and familiar oat flavor, a perfect base for your fixings!
White beans pair with sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and parmesan for a smooth and delicious dip. Try it with fresh veggies, bread, or pita!