A Name Unknown
Shadows Over England, 1
She’s Out to Steal His Name.
Will He Steal Her Heart Instead?
Rosemary Gresham has no family beyond the band of former urchins that helped her survive as a girl in the mean streets of London. Grown now, they are no longer pickpockets—now they focus on high value items and have learned how to blend into upper-class society. Rosemary’s challenge of a lifetime comes when she’s assigned to determine whether a certain wealthy gentleman is loyal to Britain or to Germany. How does one steal a family’s history, their very name?
Rumors swirl around Peter Holstein. Awkward and solitary, but with access to the king, many fear his influence. But Peter can’t help his German last name and wants to prove his loyalty to the crown—so he can go back to anonymously writing a series of popular adventure novels. When Rosemary arrives on his doorstop pretending to be a well- credentialed historian, Peter believes she’s the right person to help him dig through his family’s past.
Anger and danger continue to mount, though, and both realize they’re in a race against time to discover the truth—about Peter’s past and about the undeniable attraction kindling between them.
Shadows Over England Series
Purchase Links (Retailers)
- Rosemary and her “siblings” are thieves. Were they the sort you expected them to be? Did you like them? Understand why they did what they did? What do you think you would have done in Rosemary’s position as a child?
- Peter finds himself judged because of his family name and his own impediments. What things are we judged for today? Do we fight them—if so, how—or simply accept them?
- Who do you think Mr. V really is? Do you like him, dislike him? Are you wary of him?
- Over the course of the book, Rosemary gradually learns that God isn’t deaf to her cries, nor does he despise her because of her station. What did you think of her faith journey? Have you ever had a preconceived notion about God challenged and changed?
- What did you think of Peter’s absent-mindedness and distraction while he was writing? Would you find it endearing or annoying if you had to deal with him?
- Who is your favorite character and why? Your least favorite?
- How would you have reacted at the party, where they intercepted the thief?
- What did you think of the slow-budding romance? Did anything in their relationship surprise you? Delight you? Frustrate you?
- Do you think change will come easy to Rosemary? What were your thoughts about her conversion?
- What do you think is in store for the family? Who are you most looking forward to finding out more about?